Vets are treating cases of marijuana toxicity in dogs as the interest of treating pets with cannabis oil grows.
A Nova Scotia vet has warned dog owners that marijuana can make canines “extremely ill.” Even small doses are not tolerable and can cause marijuana toxicity, said the vet in an interview with CBC published on Tuesday.
“Dogs are getting into people’s stash, brownies or suckers, and basically they’ve been pretty messed up by it,” said Dr. Jeff Goodall, who runs Sunnyview Animal Care Centre in Bedford, Nova Scotia.
Goodall said in the last two years, he’s received eight dogs with signs that they were suffering from marijuana toxicity. The signs included urinating uncontrollably, wobbling, and vocalizing.
The vet said he did not have nearly as many experiences as a few years ago. Goodall also emphasized that people need to be educated on what they can give their pets as the interest in treating pets with cannabis oil grows.
“We’re definitely seeing many more suspicious cases,” he added. “Dogs are extremely sensitive to much lower doses than people are.
Goodall warned again that marijuana can cause dogs to become extremely ill and, in rare cases, can kill them.