Drake and Canopy Growth Corp. Announce Partnership to Launch More Life Growth Co.

On Thursday, November 7th, it was announced that Grammy award-winning Canadian rapper, singer, songwriter, record producer, actor, and businessman, Drake would be partnering with Canopy Growth Corporation to launch More Life Growth Co, a Toronto-based fully licensed cannabis producer. Drake will have a 60% stake in More Life Growth which will be a subsidiary of Canopy Growth who will control the remaining 40%.

Drake‘s perspective as a cultural leader and entrepreneur combined with Canopy Growth’s breadth of cannabis knowledge will allow our new company to bring an unmatched cannabis experience to global markets,” CEO Mark Zekulin said in a statement. More Life Growth Co. will be centered around wellness, discovery and overall personal growth. Drake named the brand “More Life Growth” after his 2017 mixtape “More Life”.

Drake teased the announcement with an Instagram post on Tuesday of this week. The post showed a massive biodome with a tag to a private Instagram page, @morelife, which simply said “Coming Soon”. The still-private account currently has 16.6K followers. At the time, little was known about what the account represented, but it was discovered that More Life Growth Company was listed on the Canadian trademark database and was described as offering “cannabis products and accessories, medical cannabis, THC and CBD,” as well as to footwear and apparel under the brand.

Drake’s team also surprised media outlets by sending them elaborate, colorful floral bouquets. It was unclear as to what was being promoted, but media outlets took to social media to thank Drake.

Cannabis advertising can be tricky to navigate in Canada, with many rules and regulations put into place to ensure that cannabis doesn’t become glorified and idolized. Celebrity endorsement (of real or fictional characters) is strictly forbidden by the promotion prohibitions of the Cannabis Act.

The rules state that you cannot advertise in a manner with reasonable grounds to believe the subject could be “appealing to young persons; by means of a testimonial or endorsement, however, displayed or communicated; by means of the depiction of a person, character or animal, whether real or fictional; or by presenting it or any of its brand elements in a manner that associates it or the brand element with, or evokes a positive or negative emotion about or image of, a way of life such as one that includes glamour, recreation, excitement, vitality, risk or daring.”

Drake has been involved in the companies strategic development and decision making since the beginning. More Life Growth will also refrain from putting Drake’s name and image on their products.

Other celebrities have also partnered with Canopy growth in the past. Seth Rogen and screenwriter Evan Goldberg teamed up with Canopy Growth Corp. to launch their Toronto-based Canadian cannabis brand called Houseplant in march of 2019. Martha Stewart and Snoop Dogg also have partnerships with the company.