When it comes to the legalization of marijuana, Canadians debated if marijuana should be consumed in public or if dispensaries should be in the vicinity of parks or schools.
But a whole new discussion surfaced on Twitter after the Canadian news media outlet Global News published a story on April 30 about dogs ingesting marijuana butt litter on walks in the city of Edmonton.
The two dog-owners said they had to rush their pets had to the veterinarian after consuming of what’s “believed” to be cannabis litter.
The news piece generated a mixed reaction.
“I find this hard to believe. My 10lb, 6-month old dog ate a whole joint laced with hash and was not harmed at all,” Sheila Jacobson wrote as a comment to the story.
Meanwhile, Cisco Pearson derided the whole reporting about the story. “Wow, quite the topic of argument,” he wrote.
But he said: “We all know full well legalization is coming, but that doesn’t mean we have to be careless,” urging “maybe all you people that have your shorts in a knot need to doob up and calm down.”
“And FYI, my dog ingested cocaine at the park and off to the vet we went. He was lucky. Just asking people to be more careful, that’s all.”
Cannabis News, a Twitter account belonging to a grower of a medical marijuana patient, described the story as “a bunch of crap seriously…”
“What they believed to be cannabis,” the holder of the account questioned. “So they didn’t even know, it could have been a cigarette butt for all this fool knows. Just make it up @globalnews.”
What a bunch of crap seriously… “What they believed to be cannabis”. So they didn’t even know, it could have been a cigarette butt for all this fool knows. Just make it up @globalnews.
Edmonton dogs fall ill after ingesting marijuana on walks https://t.co/iuFZj8LkAb
— Cannabis News (@CannabisNews) May 1, 2018
The story also caught the attention of those from the south of the border as well.
“If a dog eating part of a joint in Canada is newsworthy, I’ve got some Pulitzer worthy [marijuana] toxicity stories for you guys,” wrote a Washington-based veterinarian Chris Miller said.
If a dog eating part of a joint in Canada is news worthy, I’ve got some Pulitzer worthy toxicity stories for you guys.https://t.co/JRpG6yMEW2
— Chris Miller DVM (@dcvet) May 1, 2018
While some dog-owners give their pets CBD-based medications to treat their dogs, Twitter account of VetBus, a San Diego-based mobile small animal veterinary clinic, also jumped into the discussion, saying “no safe dose of cannabis for pets has been established.”[share-btn]